Wednesday, July 2, 2014

What, no children?!?

As I'm still recovering, I find myself laying on the couch, with a pillow under my knees, watching The Today Show.  That, and listening to a couple of seven year olds irritate each other.  Happy Wednesday.

On The Today Show this morning they had a report about Cameron Diaz not wanting to be a mommy and they reported that it has reignited the mommy wars.  First of all I don't think the mommy wars ever go away and secondly I think they have a wrong definition of mommy wars.  I have always thought of the mommy wars as conflict and judgement between mothers about working and staying home, and breastfeeding and bottle feeding.  But that's for another day.


Why is it that in our seemingly advanced society women are still judged for not wanting children?  I personally think it's a brave decision that women should not be attacked for.  Wouldn't you think it would be better for women who don't want kids to not have them rather than be pressured into having ones they don't want?  I personally know some wonderful, smart women who have made the choice to not have children.  It's a personal decision and why do we need to know the reasoning?  It's none of our business!  


I know many larger families, including ours, who get the other end of the judgement.  We're overpopulating, not responsible, etc.  People are just nosy!  

It all comes down to the fact that you cannot make everyone happy and nor should you try.  You need to do what makes you happy in your life!  If it's no kids, one child, four kiddos or more!  Walk your own path; you only owe an explanation to yourself!   


I'll get of my soapbox now, and continue with my healing.  

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment