Thursday, July 10, 2014

Counting down

I woke up today to the sound of the older kiddos playing in their room/family room.  H was starting to stir and I looked at the clock and it was 6:40 am.  I made myself get up to take a shower because otherwise I was pretty sure I wouldn't get one - and it had been a couple days.  Don't judge, sleep is more important than showering sometimes.


I'm sure I'm not the only one, but when I first woke up today one of my first thoughts was that I was looking forward to bedtime.  Yes that's right, at 6:40 am I was already counting down the hours until bedtime.  I can't wait to settle into my soft mattress in the quiet house with all the kiddos asleep and either read a little or fall asleep to the tv - bad habit I know, but it happens quite a bit.


But to get to bedtime I have to survive the day.  That's probably not the right way to view the day: survival.  Right now my optimism and sunny disposition has gone on an extended vacation and I'm not sure when it's planning on returning.  So as a result I take it hour by hour and try to survive.  

I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that I am doing the single parent thing at the moment.  As hard as it is for the hubby to travel and work his butt off in my opinion it is just as hard to be the only parent at home and never get a break.  Bedtime is my only break.  That's if it goes smoothly - which almost never happens.  I always hope kiddos are asleep by 8 pm, and the twins usually are but the older two refuse to give up until it's been dark for awhile which this time of year is way too late.  


Two nights ago, I thought they were all asleep when I got up to use the restroom and discovered the older two had locked themselves in the bathroom.  W was using the restroom and D had decided that 9:30 pm was a good time to "clean up" the bathroom to help me out.  I informed him that as nice as that was, the best way he could help me would be to get in bed and go to sleep so I could sleep!  That was a late one and he next morning was one of those where you walk around in a daze, lucky to have a bra on, hair a mess and unable to focus clearly for at least 30 minutes.  AKA: mombie.  

So I prioritize what is important on days like these and things get pushed to the side.  Kids get fed, twins get naps and diaper changes, and we survive.  

Only ten hours and counting until bedtime.  

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment