Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Twins - Part Two

I can still vividly remember finding out we were having twins.

My doctor wanted to do an ultrasound around nine weeks to do a gestational age, just to make sure I was as far along as I thought.  This was new to me because with D and W I had a 20 week ultrasound and maybe one or two others later on.

 This is me early on - getting big quick!

I was nervous and excited!  The first time you see your little baby floating around on that black and white screen it's amazing.  I used to work in x-ray at the hospital where we went to get the ultrasound and I knew there had been quite a bit of turnover in the ultrasound department so I wasn't sure which tech we would get. 

We ended up with a traveler - someone who works for a company that will send them to different places when hospitals have shortages, and she was unaware that I was an x-ray tech and would have a vague idea of what I was looking at.  I lay down on the stiff hospital bed in the darkened room with the hubby sitting in a chair by the wall with the "could we just get this over with" look on his face.  You have to remember that we had done these kind of things with two other pregnancies and it was still early on.

So the tech goes through the exam, taking all the measurements of our new little baby, not making much small talk but never letting us see the screen.

"There's only one right?"  I jokingly ask her.  "I had a dream about a month ago that I was having twins.  Crazy, huh?"  I laughed to myself.  Oh those crazy pregnancy dreams.

She responds in a flat voice "We'll talk about that at the end."  

WHAT!?!  Not funny! "We'll talk about that at the end"??  That is not the correct response to my question!  Acceptable answers would have been: "Yep, just one!" "Oh, that's a crazy dream!  Just one cute little baby in there."

I'm now on edge.  My heart rate increased.

She finishes up her exam and turns to me and says "So I probably can't let you leave here without showing you-" she pauses and moves the probe around, I feel like I might throw up, she turns the screen so we can see it now, "Here's Baby A."

Wait, did I hear that right - Baby A??  If there's a Baby A that means there's a...Baby B.  My heart rate is now through the roof.

"And here's Baby B."

Palms sweaty, stomach drops, tears start.  I start laughing hysterically through the tears.  Strange combination of happiness, sheer panic and utter terror.

TWINS?!?  That is not possible!  I turn to look at the hubby.  Sitting in his chair, eyes the size of silver dollars and his jaw on the floor.  I see the panic in his oversized eyes and I cannot stop laughing and crying.

My first thought was that he was going to kill me, I talked him into baby number three.

The tech is a little wary of us based on our reactions, and tells me I can go get dressed.  At this point I am numb.  Somehow I manage to put my pants back on and stumble back into the exam room where the hubby sits with his head hanging down.  All we can do is laugh.  Is this really happening?  We need proof.  Nobody will believe us.

The hubby has a history of pulling pranks - and boy would telling people we were having twins would've been a good one - except this was real.

We manage to take pictures of the screen with the image of two babies on it for proof.  Then she turned us loose back into the world with life changing news that I'm not sure to this day has ever really sunk in.


We did get quite a few interesting responses to the news of twins.  People knew we were expecting but like us never thought twins were a possibility.

Ben and Hillary just broke out maniacally laughing, my grandpa asked if we were sure there were ONLY two, and my best friend Jaimie said "Oh honey, I'm sorry, I'll have to call you back when I think of something I can say that would actually make you feel better - right now I got nothing."  She gets me.

Many people thought we were kidding and that's why we had the picture.  Proof.  Proof that our life was never going to be the same.

This is how our adventures in twindom began.  It has been a crazy journey but I wouldn't trade it for the world.  I get double the kisses, hugs and snuggles.  If one is being stingy with affection, chances are that the other one will oblige me.  Then there are those amazing moments when I catch them playing together, laughing and giving each other hugs and kisses.  It melts my heart and as crazy as they have made our life we really do love it and wouldn't trade it for the world.


Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment