Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Twin Questions

Today I wanted to share some of the questions and comments I've received when I've been out and about with the kiddos.  You'd be surprised with the questions complete strangers are okay asking you.

First of all, I tend to draw a little bit of attention when I am out running errands with all four boys.  These days at Costco, the twins ride up front (thank goodness for their oversize double seater carts!), W rides in the back and D walks with the cart.  At other stores if they do not have the special carts with the extenders where the twins can sit, I have to put one twin in the front, one in a backpack, W in the back and D walks with the cart.  Remember I said you have to learn to improvise?

The first one I get usually at least once a trip out in public is:
"Are they twins?"
Nah, I just picked up an extra baby in the parking lot - thought it might be fun. 



The one I get ALL the time and I am completely tired of hearing is:
"You must have your hands full!"
Not really, my hands are empty, the kids are in the cart.

Then people tend to get personal.
"Were they natural?"
Nope, they're put together from spare parts Frankenstein style.

"Did you have a c-section?"
Really?  You want to know if I had a major surgery to have my babies?  What was your appendectomy like, care to discuss your last bowel movement?
"You had them naturally?"
Yep, that's me.  Super woman, pushing out 13 pounds of babies through my hooha.  Maybe I should get a t-shirt printed.

"Do twins run in your family?"
My cousins are twins and I do believe they are able to run.

I also love how people who don't have twins always wanted twins and think they would be so much fun.
"Oh twins!  How much fun!"
Yep, feeling like a milking cow with two babies hanging from my chest, two babies screaming at me in unison, two blowouts at the same time, bathing two toddlers at once, one baby climbing the fireplace while the other simultaneously tries to squeeze between the couch and the wall.
I might start selling tickets so people can come experience my kind of "fun."

Then there's the lovely comments and questions I get when I'm out with all four boys.
"Wow!  Are they ALL boys?"
Last I checked they all have peepees.

"Are you going to try for a girl?"
And disrupt the harmonious balance of testosterone I am surrounded by.  I think not.
Seriously though, I'm not sure I'd know what to do with a girl.

"Better you than me!"
That's probably true.

"I don't know how you do it."
Me either.  What year is it and where am I?  Do you have any coffee?  If not it's best to back away slowly and not make any sudden movements.

All joking aside, we are truly blessed and it is not as crazy and bad as I sometimes make it out to be.  You learn to do what you have to do to survive the day and preserve your sanity.  You get by.  Parents of twins have double trouble, double the cost and need double the energy but we also get double blessings, double the kisses and hugs and double the love!

Until next time!











No comments:

Post a Comment